New Puppy Must Haves: Your Complete Puppy Checklist
Welcoming a new puppy into your home is an exciting and heartwarming experience. To ensure a smooth transition and a comfortable environment for your furry friend, it's essential to have all the necessary supplies and preparations in place. Our comprehensive puppy checklist will guide you through the essentials needed to welcome your new companion and provide them with a loving and safe home.
- Collar and Leash: Choose a properly fitting collar and a sturdy leash for walks and outdoor activities. Nylon and leather options are the most popular. Leaches and Collars available here.
- ID Tag: Get an ID tag with your puppy's name and your contact information in case they get lost. Also look into a city license and getting your pup microchipped. Custom Pet Tags available here.
- Crate or Bed: Provide a cozy space for your puppy to sleep and rest comfortably. Consider kennel training your pup, as they will most likely have to be kenneled at some point in there life. Crates and Beds available here.
- Food and Water Bowls: Opt for sturdy, non-tip bowls appropriate for your puppy's size. Ensure fresh water is accesssible at all times. Bowls available here.
- Puppy Food: Selecting the right puppy food is paramount. Look for puppy and all life stages all breed foods. These formulas are tailored to meet the nutritional needs of growing puppies. They contain essential nutrients like protein, fats, vitamins, and minerals that support healthy development. It's important to always look at the ingredient list. You should be looking for fresh meats and whole ingredients while avoiding fillers and by-products. Read our blog "New Puppy? Here's how to pick a high-quality puppy food." for more information. Puppy Foods available here.
- Treats: Have nutritious treats for training and rewarding good behavior, smaller soft bite treats such as the Canadian Aura Soft Bites are a great choice since your puppy will be rewarded often. Treats available here.
- Natural Chews: Puppies exploring the world often find comfort and amusement in chewing, and bully sticks offer a satisfying outlet. These natural, long-lasting treats not only help alleviate teething discomfort but also promote dental health. If a chew is not available to a puppy they may explore and find a nice pair of stinky shoes to chew on. Bully Sticks available here.
- Toys: Provide toys to satisfy teething and chewing instincts and to keep them entertained. Toys available here.
- Brush and Comb: Choose grooming tools suitable for your puppy's coat type to maintain their fur. Brushes and Combs available here.
- Nail Clippers: Get specialized nail clippers to trim your puppy's nails regularly. Nail Clippers available here.
- Shampoo and Towels: Use mild puppy shampoo and soft towels for bath time. Shampoos available here.
Health and Safety
- Veterinarian Appointment: Schedule a vet check-up for vaccinations, deworming, and general health assessment.
- Flea and Tick Prevention: Plan for tick and flea season. Flea and Tick Prevention available here.
- First Aid Kit: Have a basic first aid kit handy for minor injuries or emergencies.
- Puppy-proofing: Secure hazardous items and areas in your home, such as electrical cords and toxic plants.
Training and Socialization
- Training Pads: For potty training, especially if you're starting indoors. Training Pads available here.
- Training Treats: Use small, tasty treats for positive reinforcement during training sessions. Training Treats available here.
- Socialization Opportunities: Plan safe interactions with other dogs and people to help your puppy adapt to new experiences. We love seeing and meeting new puppies. After you pup receives all necessary vaccinations bring them in for some free treats and belly rubs!
Preparing for a new puppy involves gathering the essentials to ensure their well-being, safety, and happiness. This complete puppy checklist covers the fundamental items and preparations needed to welcome your furry friend into your home. If you have any questions or want to talk about your new puppy we are happy to see you in store or contact us via email or phone.
Our Top Puppy Picks